Part 1. Test Your Knowledge
Answer the questions.
1. What is inversion?
2. What two types of inverted word order do you know?
3. In what communicative types of sentences does inversion perform a purely grammatical function?
4. When can inversion be used as a grammatical means of subordination?
5. What type of inversion involves only nouns but not pronouns?
6. Which type of inversion – subject-operator or subject-verb – is used after negative adverbials and adverbs like well, many and little?
7. Which type of inversion – subject-operator or subject-verb – is used after adverbs indicating position and words expressing noise?
8. In what cases does inversion perform a communicative function?
9. When is the function of inverted word order emphatic?
10. When is inversion not used in short answers beginning with so?