II. THE COMPLEX SENTENCE.
Part 1. Test Your Knowledge
Answer the questions.
1. What is a complex sentence?
2. What is a main clause?
3. What is a subordinate clause?
4. What do subordinate clauses resemble in their function and meaning?
5. What groups of subordinate clauses do you know?
6. What is the difference between conjunctions and conjunctive words?
7. What is the function of a nominal clause?
8. Is it necessary to use a comma between the main clause and the nominal one?
9. What types of nominal clauses do you know?
10. What conjunctions and conjunctive pronouns/adverbs can introduce a subject clause?
11. What are the two patterns of complex sentences with subject clauses?
12. What is the function of a predicative/complement clause?
13. After what verbs can predicative/complement clauses be used?
14. What conjunctions and conjunctive words can be used to introduce predicative clauses?
15. What conjunctions can introduce both predicative clauses and adverbial clauses of comparison?
16. What are the two kinds of sentences in which predicative clauses can occur?
17. What does an object clause refer to?
18. How can an object clause be joined to the main clause?
19. After what verbs can object clauses be preceded by the formal it?
20. After what verbs will the formal it be followed by the object complement?