PART I. Test Your Knowledge
Answer the questions.
1. What is the adverbial?
2. What are the structural types of adverbials? Provide examples.
3. What are the ways of expressing adverbials?
4. What predicative complexes can function as adverbial modifiers?
5. In what way do adverbials differ fr I don’t know the answer but I’ll _____ a guess.om other types of secondary parts of the sentence?
6. What is the difference between optional and obligatory adverbials?
7. What is the difference between detached and non-detached adverbials?
8. What are the three classes of non-obligatory adverbials from the point of view of their function?
9. What semantic classes of adverbials do you know? How can you identify them?
10. What is a morphological way of denoting gradation of quality (comparison)?
11. Is comparison expressed syntactically?
12. In what patterns of comparison are the adjectives in their positive degree used?
13. In what patterns of comparison are the adjectives in their comparative degree used?
14. In what patterns of comparison are the adjectives in their superlative degree used?
15. What is an intensifier?
16. What is a downtoner?
17. Which intensifiers can be used with the positive degree?
18. Which intensifiers can be used with the comparative degree?
19. Which intensifiers can be used with the superlative degree?
20. Which adjectives ending in -ly do you know? Do they have corresponding adverbs? How can they be used adverbially?
21. What is the MPT rule?