3. EXPRESSING THE REFERENCE OF THE NOUN. THE ARTICLE
3.1. GENERAL OUTLINE AND FUNCTIONS OF THE ARTICLE
PART I. Test Your Knowledge
Answer the questions.
1. What is the article?
2. What articles are there in English?
3. What does the idea of definiteness suggest?
4. What does the idea of indefiniteness suggest?
5. What is the syntactic role of the article?
6. What is the morphological value of the article?
7. Where is the position of the article in a noun phrase?
8. What pre-determiners may precede the article? Give examples.
9. What functions of the indefinite article do you know?
10. What are the main functions of the definite article?
11. Both articles have the generic function. What is the difference?
12. Which singular countable nouns can be used in a general sense without articles?
13. What carries the specification when the definite article is used in its specifying function?
14. What nouns have unique reference?
15. What are the means of expressing a restrictive modifier (limiting attribute)?
16. Do all of-phrases possess some limiting force?
17. What do “of”-phrases possessing no limiting meaning denote?
18. What is substantivization?
19. What do substantivized adjectives denote?
20. How are the articles used with substantivized adjectives?