2. THE NOUN AND THE NOUN PHRASE
PART I. Test Your Knowledge
Answer the questions.
1. What is a noun?
2. What semantic types of nouns do you know?
3. Can proper nouns be used as common nouns?
4. What is the difference between the three classes of collective nouns?
5. What is a partitive? Give
7. Do all nouns change their number?
8. What is a variable noun?
9. How is the plural form of variable nouns built?
10. Which nouns form their plural in an irregular way?
11. How is the plural form of compound nouns built?
12. What is an invariable noun?
13. What are the groups of invariable singular nouns? Give
15. What is agreement?
16. Is the predicate singular or plural with the subject expressed by a collective noun of multitude?
17. Which form of the predicate is used when the subject is expressed by a noun ending in -ics (such as statistics, politics)?
18. Is the singular or the plural form of the predicate used with the word-group “many a + noun”?
19. What word determines the form of the predicate if the subject is phrasal?
20. What expressions of quantity (“quantifiers”) do you know?
21. Which form of the predicate is used when the subject is expressed by a predicative complex?
22. What are homogeneous subjects?
23. What conjunctions can connect homogeneous subjects?
24. Which subject does the predicate agree with if homogeneous subjects are connected by the conjunction both …and?
25. Which subject does the predicate agree with if homogeneous subjects are joined by not only … but also?
26. Which subject does the predicate agree with if homogeneous subjects are joined by as well as?
27. What is the proximity rule?
28. What rule holds true for sentences with inversion (starting with there or here)?