4.2. ADJECTIVES AND NOUNS IN THE COMMON CASE
AS NOUN MODIFIERS
PART I. Test Your Knowledge
Answer the questions.
1. What is an adjective?
2. What is the difference between qualitative and relative adjectives?
3. What is the usual order of adjectives as modifiers in a noun phrase?
4. How many grammatical categories of adjectives do you know?
5. Are all English adjectives gradable?
6. What degrees of comparison do English adjectives possess?
7. What are the three ways of forming degrees of comparison of adjectives in English?
8. What are the means of expressing pre-positive limiting modifiers?
9. Which adjectives are always used after a noun?
10. What are the means of expressing postpositive limiting modifiers?
11. Do prepositional of-phrases always have a limiting meaning?
12. What do prepositional of-phrases having no limiting force denote?
13. How many structural types of noun modifiers do you know? Give examples
14. What predicative complexes can function as noun modifiers?