- Discuss the following. Have you ever read books by Oscar Wilde? What do you know about this writer?
- Read the information about Oscar Wilde and answer the questions that follow.
Oscar Wilde was born in Dublin , Ireland , in 1854. He came from a highly educated family. His father was a distinguished surgeon and his mother was a poet.
Oscar Wilde did brilliantly at school, at Trinity College Dublin and finally at Magdalen College Oxford which awarded him a degree with honours.
He distinguished himself as a classical scholar, a poet and a dramatist. He loved beauty and art and thought art was very important in daily life.
The plays ‘Lady Windermere’s Fan’ and ‘The Importance of Being Earnest’ are two of his masterpieces. ‘The Portrait of Dorian Gray’, which he wrote in 1890, is his only novel and is considered one of his most brilliant works.
He spent the last years of his life in Paris . He died there in 1900, at the age of 46.
1. Where and when was he born?
2. Where did he study?
3. What did he distinguish himself as?
4. What did he think about art?
5. What are his most important plays?
6. When did he write ‘The Portrait of Dorian Gray’?
7. Where and when did he die?